Intro

It is not true that board games are to be enjoyed? To be cherished? To be used? If this is the case, why do so many board games end up on the shelf with a only handful of times played, doomed to collect dust while their owners decide to play some other game that will eventually become its neighbor? It is my opinion that games should be fought over. That members of the family should contend with one another about which game the family will enjoy tonight. That the games are crafted by highly creative minds who aim to test your imagination and strategy to the limits. That the barrier between 'Shelf Games' and 'Legacy Games' be obliterated so that a family or group of friends can have memories to fall back on when time changes life from now to 'the good old days.' It is my mission to create, design, and bring Legacy Games to the world, but I need your help. I need positive suggestions to help me tweak the games to perfection. It is a long, difficult process, but I will work hard to see these games to completion and beyond.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Due to the similarities of versions, Rail Baron and Russian Rail Baron, I will not distribute this game without permission from Avalaon Hill.  However, There are three games that can be counted as the first games from Legacy Board Games.  All of which are in different stages of production at the moment and can use improvement.  These games are a follows:

1.  Jail Break -
     a.  The idea for Jail Break was created in December 2011. I was jotting down some ideas for new games when it came, and I quickly wrote the first notes for the game.  Out of the eight ideas that made it onto that paper, this one stood out.  Here are the notes:
          1. Prisoners in a jail escape and are searching for a way out.
          2. Patrols and unknown hallways challenge the prisoners to be creative in their individual escapes.
          3. Cameras monitor hallways.
          4. Many different people stand between the prisoners and the door.
          5. The first prisoner out the door wins.
     b.  After I recognized that the game had potential, I wrote, "Sounds like a game I have never played. Maze of guards that changes often, different ways to escape."
     c.  It has evolved to a playable game and is now being refined. 

2.  City Strikers -
     a.  This game has no notes, but was born one morning when my wife and I were having a discussion about games.  I told her that I would really like a stock game where the different stocks would change value constantly, and it would be a struggle to sell at top prices.  Originally this was going to be just a card game, however, my wife suggested that I make a board because she is a visual learner.  I designed a board for it, and the changes we have made have been for the better since.
     b.  City Strikers follows a resort town on the coast that has several businesses integrated throughout.  These businesses are all currently for sale, and the players begin to buy a few small businesses and stocks to earn a meager income.  Then, as prices rise and fall,  the players need to know when to sell a property to upgrade to another that produces a higher income.  As the rest of the businesses are purchased, the players make more money. 
     c.  Even though we have mock-played this game a few times, I have not finished the cards to play it a full time through.

3.  "The Card Game" -
     a.  This 'no named' game was started before the other two, but the name has not come to me yet, so I could use suggestions.  As of now, the game consists of an 8x8 grid for a board,  A deck of 71 cards per player and the occasional dice.
     b.  Each player assumes the role of a fantasy race, namely, Humans, Skeletons, Pixies, Dwarves, Elves, Buccaneers, or Undead.  There are five different cards in each deck.  1) Unit cards - These cards are played on the 8x8 grid board as army units and have the ability to move, deal damage to others, and recieve damage.  For example, the Dwarves have axethrowers, warriors, and demolition dwarves, to name a few.  2)  Upgrades - These cards boost a particular stat of a unit.  i.e. The Sword of Justice, which would increase a units attack by four.  3) Action cards - These cards are only used once and are used mostly when attacking.  4) Special cards - These cards affect the entire race for the better throughout the remainder of the game. 5) Curse cards - These cards must be played when drawn and have a negative effect.
     c.  The object is to defeat your opponents.  Though there are many other rules, this is it in a nutshell.  Mages, cannons, and attractive female elves will have to be described in more detail in other posts.

These are only the beginning.  Your suggestions will help improve these games and more will follow.  If anyone wants more information about these games, or a free copy to test for me, let me know.  I need testers who will be able to give me unbiased opinions and ways to improve them.

2 comments:

  1. I think this one is still my favorite! We should find a good name. I just did some thesaurus studying and my favorite is "Clash of Realms". What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could call it CoR for short, but the full title should be 'Clash of the Realms.' Let's use that.

    ReplyDelete